Updated May 2010
Please read this carefully. Not knowing these rules is not an excuse for not following them. By using Doculink you signify your agreement to these terms.
1. Stay on topic – posts must relate to documentary filmmaking. Off-topic posts are not permitted.
2. Doculink is primarily for professionals who make and work on documentary films: students, first-timers and all members are reminded to search the web and the Doculink archivesbefore posting questions. You can access the Doculink archives at http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/doculink. We also encourage you to seek answers from the many sites listed at http://www.doculink.org/resource.html.
3. The list is non-commercial – the only “classifieds” permitted are offerings of job opportunities, and workshop/seminar announcements. In both cases, you may post no more than two notices per job or event, and you may make no more than two such posts per month.
4. Treat other members with respect and professional consideration in all communications, public or private. Respect the privacy of other members. Discontinue communication with any member if that person so requests.
5. Keep your posts as short and to the point as possible. Avoid quoting more than five lines of previous messages in the thread. You are limited to five posts per day.
6. Do not speak beyond your experience. Informed speculation is allowed, but if you are speculating say so.
7. Remember that Doculink is international and multicultural. Respect diversity, be helpful, polite, friendly, and tolerant of others whose experience may be quite different from yours. Avoid political and religious discussions.
8. When replying to a post, address the question, not the person who asked it. If you have a criticism, criticize the posting, not the person who posted it. Address your message to everyone on the list.
9. Avoid quick messages like “Thanks!” or “Congrats!” that clutter the list. If you’d like to send such a message, send it only to the person you’re thanking or congratulating; do not send it to the entire Doculink list.
10. If you work for a company or have ever received any sort of compensation from a company or individual whose product or service you are discussing, say so. If you have a stake of any kind (financial, familial, etc.) in a recommendation or request, say so.
11. Doculink is a private community. You may not re-post other Doculinkers’ messages without their permission. Likewise, members of the press need members’ permission before quoting conversations here. (That said, remember that there are thousands of Doculink members, in every aspect of the business. If you really have something “private” to say, think carefully before sharing it here.)
12. You must register for Doculink with your real first and last name, and sign your posts with your real name. We also encourage you to include your job title and location.
13. Sometimes messages are delayed by up to 24 hours. Do not repost if your message does not appear on the list immediately.
14. We occasionally host “Doculink Meetings”. For the sake of clarity, the term “Doculink Meeting” is reserved for Doculink events organized by the moderators or by others that they designate. If you want to organize a local get-together please use the term “meetup” or “get-together” or “gathering” instead.
15. You will not:
a) defame, abuse, harass or threaten others;
b) make any bigoted, hateful, or racially offensive statements;
c) advocate illegal activity or discuss illegal activities with the intent to commit them;
d) post or distribute any material that infringes and/or violates any right of a third party or any law;
e) post or distribute any vulgar, obscene, discourteous, or indecent language or images;
f) post or distribute any software or other materials that contain a virus or other harmful component;
g) post or distribute or disseminate personal information to others;
g) post material or make statements that do not generally pertain to the designated topic or theme of the Doculink Listserv;
h) transmit junk email, spam, unsolicited email in any form, commercial or otherwise either through the Doculink Listserv or to any other member.
i) solicit funds;
j) post marketing messages, classified ads, or “services available” postings. (Exceptions are listed in #3 above. In the future we may have a separate area for classifieds, but you are always encouraged to let people know about your services by generously answering questions on Doculink that relate to your expertise.)
16. Failure to follow these rules may result in your account being set to moderation (meaning that the list moderators will need to approve any post you make before it appears on the list) and in extreme circumstances to your being banned from the list. (But we really don’t want to do that. Let’s keep doculink on topic, friendly, and useful!)
17. The moderators’ decisions on all matters are final. Also, please remember that Doculink is run by volunteers, and we can’t always respond to requests as fast as we would like.
“A LITTLE MORE FINE PRINT”
”Doculink Listserv” or “Doculink” or “Email Forum” means the message board, or e-mail function associated with or offered as part of the Doculink Topica Group, Doculink Yahoo Group or Doculink.org website.
The Moderators of Doculink reserve the right to remove or edit content from any Listserv or Email Forum at any time and for any reason. Appeals to these decisions will be heard, but final decisions will be determined solely by the Moderators.
It is our policy to respect the privacy of all Doculink Listserv members. However, as a registered member of the group, you are acknowledging that you are making your registered email public to other members. You are consenting to its use in any postings or communications within the public forum or privately with other members. Members will have access to your registered email address and can correspond with you in the public forum or in private direct emails. Members shall remain solely responsible for the content of their messages.
Information obtained in a Listserv or Email Forum may not be reliable. When participating in a Listserv or Email Forum, never assume that people are who they say they are, know what they say they know, or are affiliated with whom they say they are affiliated with. It is up to you to check out people and companies you are put in touch with using the utmost care. Ask for references, check company track records. You use the Doculink Listserv at your own risk, so be smart and stay safe.
THE MATERIALS IN THE DOCULINK LISTSERV ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” AND WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMISSIBLE PURSUANT TO APPLICABLE LAW, WE DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. WE DO NOT WARRANT THAT THE FUNCTIONS OF THE DOCULINK LISTSERV WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE, THAT DEFECTS WILL BE CORRECTED, OR THAT ANY DOCULINK LISTSERV POSTING OR THE SERVERS THAT MAKE SUCH MATERIALS AVAILABLE ARE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS. WE DO NOT WARRANT OR MAKE ANY REPRESENTATIONS REGARDING THE USE OR THE RESULTS OF THE USE OF THE MATERIALS ON ANY DOCULINK LISTSERV POSTING IN TERMS OF THEIR CORRECTNESS, ACCURACY, RELIABILITY, OR OTHERWISE. YOU ASSUME THE ENTIRE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR, OR CORRECTION. APPLICABLE LAW MAY NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES, SO THE ABOVE EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
We explicitly disclaim any responsibility for the accuracy, content, or availability of information found on sites that link to or from any Doculink Listserv link or posting. We do not endorse merchandise, organizations, or people, nor have we taken any steps to confirm the accuracy or reliability of any of the information contained in such third-party sites or content. We do not make any representations or warranties as to the security of any information (including, without limitation, credit card and other personal information) you might be requested to give any third-party, and you hereby irrevocably waive any claim against us with respect to such sites and third-party content. We strongly encourage you to make whatever investigation you feel necessary or appropriate before proceeding with any online or offline transaction with any of these third parties.
You are entirely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your Password and your account and for all activities that occur under your account. You hereby indemnify, defend, and hold us and our affiliates and our officers, directors, owners, agents, information providers, affiliates, licensors, and licensees (collectively, the “Indemnified Parties”) harmless from and against any and all liabilities and costs (including reasonable attorneys’ fees’) incurred by the Indemnified Parties in connection with any claim arising out of any breach by you of this Agreement or claims arising from your account. You shall use your best efforts to cooperate with us in the defense of any claim. We reserve the right, at our own expense, to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter otherwise subject to indemnification by you.
These terms are effective until terminated by either party. You may terminate these terms at any time by discontinuing use of the Doculink Listserv. Your access to the Doculink Listserv and to any and all Doculink Listserv postings may be terminated immediately without notice from us if in our sole discretion you fail to comply with any term or provision of these terms. Upon termination, you must cease use of the Doculink Listserv.
These terms shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of California, without giving effect to any principles of conflicts of law. You agree that any action at law or inequity arising out of or relating to these terms shall be filed only in the state or federal courts located in California, and you hereby consent and submit to the personal jurisdiction of such courts for the purposes of litigating any such action. If any provision of these terms shall be unlawful, void, or for any reason unenforceable, then that provision shall be deemed severable from these terms and shall not affect the validity and enforceability of any remaining provisions. This is the entire agreement between us relating to the subject matter herein and shall not be modified except in writing, signed by both parties.